Wednesday, May 27, 2009

ring ring ring


I thought the water ring stains were the end of my French antique burled wood nightstands. Until I read the NY Times Article this week Removing the Rings. Turns out these rings can be removed with regular mayonnaise and hairdryer? That sounds too good to be true I know, but it actually works and its so much more cost effective than refinishing an entire piece and compromising an original antique finish.  Let me know if this trick works for your stubborn wood stains as well as it worked for mine. 
Tips:
1. If its a new stain try and evaporate with a blow dryer on a low setting. Sometimes doing this will simply evaporate the moisture right out of the finish. 
2. That did not work for me so I had to get a little more serious. I wrapped a rag around my finger and dipped it in mayonnaise, then I gently massaged the mayonnaise into the white rings and the stain eventually disappeared.
3. If that doesn't work, leave the mayonnaise on the stain for a couple of hours and every once in a while, work it in to the stain. 
4. If that doesn't work try using lemon oil with a steel wool pad. Ok I have to admit the steel wool pad on my night stands scares me so I would do a test on the back before trying this step. 
5. I would probably give up on this trick if it hasn't worked so far. I am just being honest ;)

No comments: